Thursday, June 13, 2013

Last Day in Skopje

Today is Thursday, and it is the last day that I will be here in the beautiful city of Skopje, Macedonia.  I spent the morning repacking and organizing my suitcase. I have so many more items than what I came with that I am VERY concerned about the weight...  but, never fear, Tanja knows someone who is working at the airport and all will be well.  Thank heaven for Tanja!  After a nice (huge) breakfast fit for a queen, I worked on my blog for a bit, and when Tanja arrived home we left to "check OUT" at the police station.  When that was done we went to pick up Niecy and headed for the Museum of the City of Skopje.  It is housed in the "Clock Tower" as I have named it, the former train station where the clock on the building stopped at the exact time of the

catastrophic earth quake that happened almost 50 years ago.
 As we entered the building we were greeted by a man who offered to be our guide.  The museum has a wonderful exhibit of artifacts, some dating back to 400 years BC.  There are many items like clay oil lamps, jewelry, bone tools, and even an incredible statue made o sf marble.  The history is so rich in this city, and I love to hear about it and learn more about this region.  Sorry, but we were unable to take any pictures in the museum, so you are not privy to the amazing history that I saw.  After we left the museum Niecy and I were out looking for the last few items that
we needed for gifts, and just enjoying the beautiful, cool 75 degree day.  When we were done shopping we decided to end our journey where we began it, at the restaurant Pelister.  We sat at a table right by walkway of the center, where we were able to people watch and talk with ease.  We ordered a drink and decided to share a pizza, just like we did when we first arrived here.
 As we sat and reminisced about our wonderful visit, I saw a wall of rain headed our way so instead of calling Tanja to pick us up (and chance being caught in the rain, we decided to order another drink and wait it out...  GOOD choice!  In no time, the POURING rain was upon us and we watched people running for cover.  This picture shows a desolate center as the rain pounds down.  We actually had to move our chairs back from the edge, as we were getting wet as well.  Niecy and I then decided, what the heck, let's order some dessert...  what's another pound or two at this point?  lol.  So we ordered chocolate lava cake and ice cream AND profiteroles (cream puffs with chocolate sauce).  Yum... we stayed until the rain stopped and the blue sky was beginning to peak through.  Tanja sent Marko to pick us up and he ran Niecy home, and then me.

 I finished my packing and laid down for a quick nap.  When I got up I decided to take my shower and get all ready so when I have to wake up at 2:30 in the morning, I will basically be ready, just need to touch up a bit.  After I got ready, Tanja called me out and the family gave me a few wonderful presents.  An amazingly beautiful and comfortable pair of sheepskin slippers for me, a  bottle of the finest Macedonian red wine for David, and Toni (the sweet man that he is) went and picked up baklava and tulumba sweets for us to take home to share with our families.  I had a gifts (tokens of my appreciation) as well, and gave them to Toni (a bottle of rakija), Tanja (a southwest cookbook), and Marko (a sun key chain).  No gift could be grand enough to say thank you for the amazing time that I have had being a part of their family.  So they will have to settle for my heartfelt thanks...  which they will. I am done packing, am drinking my last toast of Uzo as I put the finishing touches on my blog.  I MAY get 3 hours of sleep if I am lucky before I have to get up and leave for the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment